Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Walking in Place


After coveting a treadmill desk for months, I finally set one up for myself at the office. In fact, I'm walking (quite slowly) right now as I type.

Set Up

The desk: Rather than invest in a sit-and-stand desk, I lifted my desk up off the ground on stacks of copy paper. Although it's currently 6 packages high, it feels pretty stable. I don't think I'll hide under the desk in an earthquake, though. I also raised the desk up to its full height. When lowered to its lowest height it still functions pretty reasonably as a sitting desk, so I can revert if desperate.

The treadmill: I purchased the TR1200-DT3 treadmill base from LifeSpan Fitness, and it seems to be working well. I placed the base under my desk, and the associated small console on my desk. It only goes up to 4 miles/hour, but given I'm currently walking at 1.1 miles/hour I'm guessing that's plenty fast. I like that it is quiet and that it is low to the ground.

I've only walked 3500 steps on the treadmill so far today, and am already feeling a little creaky. My target is 10,000 steps a day. It will probably take some time to get used to walking so much, but I guess that's why I'm doing it, right? At least I haven't accidentally fallen off yet.

2 comments:

  1. I just read your blog and found it very helpful for those who are looking for reasons to adapt the treadmill desk technology. Well, I have a no doubt on the accessibility and working of treadmill desks but still there are some people who are not aware with this technology. Well, if you are fitness freak and can't find time for workout due to your busy schedule then you should take a look at this list of treadmill desks. You will surely find the best one for your needs on this link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many homework on the continual hunt along with offstage on the road to winning. Definitely not attached, simple to-fall as a result of wayside; And not investigation, afterward into a path travel toward the black. NFTs

    ReplyDelete